Physical Fitness/Hunt Preparation ...
he success of your hunt may very well depend on your physical and mental preparation and ability. There are no “easy” or “canned” mountain hunts with me in British Columbia or anywhere else. My hunting trips are the Real Deal. You’ve likely heard this before, but because it is so important, I will repeat it again. You should be doing some type of physical exercise (aerobic and anaerobic) at least 3-4 times/week and more is better. The following are things I would suggest depending on your physical ability and age. In order to get aerobic exercise you need to do these for at least 20 minutes straight, each time. I would recommend 30-60 minutes/time or more. On any typical day you could walk on uneven terrain for up to 10 hours so be prepared!
- Running or brisk walking -- at least 2-3 miles.
- Biking (mountain or road bike)- Organized sports (Basketball, Hockey, Soccer or Tennis)
- Exercise machines (Stairmaster, Nordic Track, Treadmill, Bike)
- Circuit training w/free weights or universal system- Swimming
- Aerobic type classes (Tai Bo, step aerobics, etc.) don’t laugh as you will be surprised as to how well this improves agility and coordination and the scenery is usually great in these classes!
- Make sure you hike around town or the local hills with the boots and pack you will be wearing on the hunt because if you have sore feet, everything else is secondary.
These type of hunts require special preparation in order for it to be comfortable & enjoyable.
I’d suggest taking the pack you will be using on the hunt and hike with it several times/week. Start with 20 or 30 pounds if you haven’t backpacked before and work your way up, over a 1-2 month period to 45 (minumum) up to 65 pounds. If you’ve backpacked before you should know the routine. For your backpack hunt, you will need to be in good enough shape to hike with a medium weight pack for 8-10 hours/day. (with breaks ofcorse)
There is no real way to prepare for a mountain backpack hunt other than hiking with all the stuff you will have, but the better shape you start in the better time you will have and the better opportunity you will have to be successful.